Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Heritage

My sense of fashion has always been rooted to simplicity accenting my get up with a piece of jewelry. I have always been fascinated as how a single piece of fashion jewelry can turn a simple outfit into a statement. This perhaps urged and inspired me to focus on designing fashion accessories, and eventually, in the future, fine jewelry.

My vision is to use homegrown materials in my pieces leading to my interest in Philippine Jewelry History. I have been dying to get hold of books and copies of paper about jewelry in the Philippines especially during the pre-colonial period, my search is unending.

What I have learned so far…

Accounts say that prior to colonial period, early Filipinos already ornamented themselves with jewelry out of gold, silver, copper and iron, much of the colonizers surprise. “Jewels, gold ingots, chains, calombigas and earrings were handed down from antiquity and inherited from their ancestors, ” according to De Morga.

Antonio Pigafetta, an Italian scholar and traveler who joined Ferdinand Magellan to the voyages of the Indies, remarked that “the people of Mindoro possessed great skill in mixing gold with other metals and gave it a natural and perfect appearance that could deceive even the best of silversmiths.” House of kings were said to be adorned with gold plates and other settings extending outside of the houses.

Among other treasures found in the island used by early Filipinos are carnelian, agate and pearl which they turned into “Palamuti” such as necklaces, belts, armlets and rings.

Book on Philippine Jewelry by Ramon N. Villegas
Natives of pre-colonial period were of no doubt true artisans who used homegrown treasures inherent to the island. Filipinos need not to look elsewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to hear from you. Share your thoughts!