Sunday, April 22, 2012

Her Name Was Amatullah


 Trapped in a barren land.
  One once an Empress.
  Now forsaken.
  Lifeless.

In my mind, Amatullah is my empress, a woman refusing to be stereotyped by the norm of what an empress must and should be; defying tradition and in doing so, exiled. However, this does not stop her from continuing to empower women. For when others thought her lifeless, she breathes life to others who are willing to go beyond form and succeeds to live. 

My fascination with patterns led me to create Amatullah, a collection inspired by Islamic geometric patterns. To date it’s my most loved collection. Making the collection served as my initiation to bead embellishment and its possibilities. 

The challenge in creating this collection was translating the patterns into costume jewelry, using mainly seed beads and making it come alive with the play of colors; and how the design would embody the woman I envisioned being Amatullah. - PJV


Conceptualizing Amatullah

The original pieces were hand sewn by yours truly. 

 The pieces below were sewn by our highly skilled crafts women.


 Last design for the  Amatullah Collection

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to hear from you. Share your thoughts!