Thursday, October 23, 2014

Wiring with Passion by Steph Lopez, FLOW

Flow’s pieces are made with the utmost care, and are usually time-consuming to make. At least where the wire pieces are concerned, I avoid making the same item over again. The end result for the pieces, I hope, is that they make the wearer feel as unique and as special as she truly is.
I’ve consigned two kinds of items to Palamuti by PJ Valenciano for her trade shows in the US this year: the Teardrop Necklaces and the Bejewelled Clutch.
Teardrop Necklaces
The necklaces with teardrop pendants are one of my more popular items.  I start with aluminum wire which I shape into a teardrop. Then, I weave on embellishments (such as crystals, pearls, and beads) onto the metal frame using stainless steel wire. I attach a jump ring to the pendant, so it can be easily slipped onto chain or omega wire. Meticulously-made and eye-catching, these pendants go well with the simplest of outfits, as much as they do with formal attire.
Bejewelled Clutch


Leather is such a beautiful material, and I wanted to incorporate wirework with leather to make these bags. Unfortunately, I have yet to learn how to work with leather, so I tapped other people to make the body of the bag for me. The ones I’ve consigned to Palamuti are made with leather from Pakistan; since my supplier could not find black leather of the same stiffness locally. The body of the bag has holes in front where I slip the stainless steel wire. Basically, these crystals and pearls are woven onto the leather body. These bags were designed for dressy nights out and formal occasions. While sparkly and feminine, these clutches are tough, as they are made of leather and stainless steel wire.

ABOUT THE ARTIST
"In 2006, I quit my full to job to pursue art full time. I tried doing corporate work again in 2011, only to leave in the summer of the following year, as I realized I could no longer keep with the pace of corporate life, and that's not where my heart really was. I took trips near the sea, contemplated on my career path, and decided that if I were to take on another kind of work, it must be centered on what I really love - art making"- Steph Lopez
While many jewelry businesses start from the love of jewelry, Flow started the other way – it first came about as a way for Steph Lopez to supplement her income as a sculptor and visual artist. This eventually cultivated her love for jewellery-making as an artform in itself, thus serving as an impetus to create pieces that make a woman feel special and unique, as she is truly meant to be. She started to learn how to make jewellery in 2012, and establishing her brand Flow, soon followed. Her unique style of handmade jewellery pieces and other trinkets has evolved gradually since then.  In the past year, she has been focused on making more ornate pieces that incorporate a lot of wirework – an element of design she lifted from her experience in making most of her sculptures. The name “Flow” came to her as she was taking a vacation by the sea. Her love for the beach and water inspired her brand name, and describes the process of how she works when it comes to making “trinkets”.  As an artist, she subscribes to a very spontaneous and “flowing” process. Usually, she simply compiles her materials in front of her, and allows her creativity to flow. Rarely does she draw or plan on how most pieces will look once they’re done.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to hear from you. Share your thoughts!