Thursday, July 2, 2015

Art Jewelry Focus: Clarisse

I made the first version of the Clarisse Necklace back in 2012. I’m the type of person who doesn’t like to waste or throw away any of my art materials. At that time, someone gave me a set of semi-precious stones from a trip to Himalayan country Nepal. I used those stones by incorporating them in the original Clarisse necklace. I used the remaining ones to sew on felt cloth to make the necklace’s patterns.
Every now and again, someone will order this necklace from me. We even had the chance to sell them in the United States. I believe that this design should be categorized as one of our classic pieces.
Every year, I always aim to improve upon its design. This year Mariz and her then husband-to-be ordered 12 pieces as gifts for their primary sponsors for their wedding day. They loved the structure of the original Clarisse necklace. This was also a chance for me to improve on the design again, and play with color combinations.
The materials I used were similar. Though I wasn’t able to source more semi-precious stones directly from Nepal, I was able to find a suitable local substitute from the jewelry and accessory market here in the Philippines. I was able to combine them with seed beads, which were imported from Japan, China, or Korea.I also used this opportunity to improve on the necklace’s back cover; switching from mere felt cloth to synthetic leather.

To match their wedding motif, I added crystal attachments, with glass beads, to the necklace. This symbolized the Filipino devotion for the Rosary. As a final touch, an crystals to symbolize their union as one happy couple, ready to start their new life as husband and wife.  
More Artisan Jewelry at PALAMUTISHOP.COM
Photography: Carlo Cayabyab
Keeping it real. -PJV 

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to hear from you. Share your thoughts!