Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Draw to Experience

Lotus Inspired Necklace 
It was not until a client asked me to show sketches of her entourage jewelry did I start drawing again. I do remember, however that I once regularly did sketching, and enjoyed charcoal drawing in primary school. But I stopped when one of my peers unkindly commented that what I drew was not my work. After that incident, I never really went back to drawing or sketching. In that moment, I doubted myself and thought that I was never good enough. Childhood experiences really do play a part in who and what you think of yourself. For some reason I grew up having very low esteem, with the need to please people. It was hard for me to make friends and much harder to communicate what I really felt. A part of that is still there; the insecurities of not being worthy still haunt in some days. Today, I try hard to be in control and achieve perfection, but at the same time trying to rebel from expectations. 
Larkspur and the Lotus

Somehow my art and the chance to wake up everyday and do my thing helps in the process. I sketch and draw regularly now. This process helps me conceptualize and put a structure to my ideas, which most of the time are rambles and circuits of images in my mind. It calms me. Its a form of meditation and most importantly a form of gratitude. 

Larkspur Inspired Necklace
Nowadays cameras make it so easy to feel that we've captured what's important in the world. But to really appreciate what's around us, we might need to learn a weirder, less technologically-advanced skill: drawing. To the modern-day person, when something looks interesting or beautiful, it's a natural impulse to take a picture in order to preserve it. This means that we're likely to reach for our phones or cameras. But this becomes a problem when we fail to truly look at the world and its true beauty, and get lost in the act of "capturing" the moment. The act of drawing forces us to study the world in a way that we would never consider when we take a photograph. 

Roses and Thorns
Say for example that two people take a walk together, one is a sketcher and the other one with no interest of the kind. There will surely be a great difference in how the two individuals perceive the things that they are both seeing. The one who has no interest in sketching will look at a tree and surmise that it's a tree, and will think no more about it. However, the sketcher will be able to view the sunlight and how it bounces of the tree, and the feeling of experiencing that will remain in memory as well. The sketcher will remember how the sunshine makes the leaves glimmer and the shadows that are cast, in other words, the minute details of beauty. The sketcher will see the emerald glow of the leaves and the contrast of the  bow and branches emerging from the veil of leaves. Then come the patterns of the bark and the twisting roots, which the sketcher will notice as all the colors blend themselves in perfect harmony. We draw not because we want to be great artist, but we should draw to be able to see, think, and feel, beyond what our gadgets cannot provide. Is this not worth seeing? Yet if you're not a sketcher, you will let pass the beauty of the world around us, and be reminded of it simply in photographs, not knowing, and feeling, what you've truly missed . All you'll remember is that you went such-and-such into the world and simply took photos of it, post it somewhere and think nothing more of it. 

So anyway, I am planning to take up some basic drawing, maybe painting but most definitely a workshop on sculpture. I enjoy theory but I prefer theory in practice more. I have been eyeing on joining art classes at ARTALYER Workshops and Studio. I will keep you updated on this! Most of all, I would love to draw beside Nikki Ocean in her Art by Sea  WorkshopsLastly, since we are in the subject of drawing, here's another interesting read from William Kemp
Keeping it real.-PJV

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to hear from you. Share your thoughts!