Wednesday, August 12, 2015

"What is Art for?"


Last July, Nikki Ocean held her solo exhibit, entitled Prism Pains and Those Voices in the Wilderness, at the Finale Art File art gallery. She's a budding artist and I've seen her grow from her college days to the present date. You could say that I've been one of her biggest fans! After seeing her exhibit, I was inspired to create jewelry pieces that ran parallel and    resonated with her paintings. This led me to experiment with different forms of beaded costume jewelry, as well as incorporating materials outside my usual style. 
Bloom, Nikki Ocean
2015, Oil on Canvas
84 X 60 inches
Ghost of your future's past childhood longings, Nikki Ocean
2015, Oil on Canvas
60 X 84 inches
Heart Burn, Nikki Ocean 
2015, Oil on Canvas
48 X36 inches
Peak of Haiyan, Nikki Ocean
2015, Oil on Canvas
36 X 36 inches
Wild, Nikki Ocean
2015, Oil on Canvas
48 x 36 inches
Home is where the tides take me, Nikki Ocean
2015, Oil on Canvas
36 X 36 inches
I have always been an accessory-loving person. I love wearing jewelry regardless of it being fine, bridge or costume. I also collect those made by different artists and retail brands. When I learned to make costume jewelry in particular, it played to my strengths as an artisan since I am a very visual and creative person. If I wasn’t doing this, I might have pursued painting or sculpture. Today, I see paint my canvass with my needle and thread as my brush and paint. 

I am lucky to be surrounded by creative people from different fields, who are artists in their own way using their form of "art" to inspire, influence and showcase their own advocacy. I suppose this is an example of what art is about. At one level, art inspires and on another level, it's an indirect way to self investigation. Allain de Botton's animated guide to "What is Art For" explains it more clearly. 
Live a life of meaning. Surround yourself with art! 
Keeping it real.- PJV

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to hear from you. Share your thoughts!