Friday, June 15, 2012

What Women Want: Personalizing Gifts

Last night I was reading an old issue of Reader’s Digest. I was intrigued by the story of Waris Dirie, a supermodel turned advocate and activist against female genital mutilation (FGM). After reading her story, I flipped through the pages and saw an article by Beth Levine.
Here’s an excerpt: 

Secrets About Women Husbands Should Know by Beth Levine (Reader's Digest, October 1999)
"SHE DOESN'T WANT SEXY LINGERIE OR KITCHEN APPLIANCES AS GIFTS." 
Why do gifts, which seem so trivial, sometimes cause such major problems for couples? " Women consider a gift's meaning, " says Albert Watson, associate professor of counseling at the University of Cincinnati. "When a husband gets his wife the latest book by her favourite author, the message is, "When you talk, I listen. I want to please you." But a toaster, or lingerie that makes her feel like a cow, says, " I don't know or care what you would like, so I'm going to please myself."
According to Cathleen Gray, "Men complain, If she wants me to get something in particular for her birthday, why doesn't she tell me? Meanwhile, she's thinking, If I have to tell you, I feel diminished as a woman because it means you haven't thought about me at all."
Christine Schrodt suffered for years while her husband, David, gave her gifts such as steak knives. But he's learned the hard way how important gifts are to her. "Now if he sees me admiring something, he makes a mental note," says Christine. "Six months later, on my birthday, he'll surprise me with it. It makes me feel loved."

I found myself grinning and immediately showed the article to my beau. Women put a lot of value and meaning to gifts. Whenever I think of gifts to give female friends and family, I want to make sure it’s something they want to have. I want my gifts to reflect them. For me they are not mere gifts but gifts that are well thought of, something that they will keep not one that’ll soon find its way to a garage sale.  
Before  Palamuti, making accessories was a hobby. I made accessories for myself and as gifts to female friends who like me are into wearing trinkets. I customize the pieces based on their personality and style. It’s not giving a gift convenient to give; the gift was about them not about me.Here’s a tip for men and women alike:  showing appreciation with the gift of sharing your time is a gift that will never go out of style. - PJV

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to hear from you. Share your thoughts!