Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Saving by Re-Purposing and Restyling

Would you believe that the flower accent on mys sister's hairpiece used to be a brooch?

Do you splurge away paycheck after paycheck on shopping for the latest clothes and accessories? I used to be one too. Every pay day, I’d like to reward myself for days of being cooped up in a cubicle; and the best therapy for me was: SHOPPING! There was a time when my closet was bursting at the seams with so many things. In retrospect, I exhibited a consumer-driven lifestyle which was, I realized, a failed attempt to fulfill a void of discontent.

Eventually, I realized that shopping for new items every now and then was not the answer. Of course, for a girl who loves dressing up, I still shop from time to time, but now I geared towards common sense and practicality, rather than impulses. I’ve since learned the principle of restyling and re-purposing “old” articles of clothing to fashion accessories.

Another set of re-purposed accessories. All pendants for these necklaces used to be brooches
Practical Tip: Keep your box of accessories up to date without having to spend too much money. Think twice before throwing away your old accessories. You can always have them restyled. 

Re-purposing has its own perks. First, you get to save and keep your money for the rainy days. Second, you are doing the planet a favor. If you choose to recycle and re-purpose products made of raw materials from our natural resources, you are helping preserve the environment. Conscious consumerism can make a difference. Third, restyling can be an outlet for creativity and  a platform to convey your own unique sense of style.- PJV

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to hear from you. Share your thoughts!