Monday, January 12, 2015

Break & Make

Let me start off our first blogpost for January by thanking those who have been following and reading our blog. It's been a joy to be inspired in creating, sharing, and living stories. Let us start the year on a positive beat by committing to something we feel passionate about. For me in particular, I will strive to commit in blogging; speaking from a first person perspective about design, fashion, art and life, and my insights as a designer and a social entrepreneur.

Last year has been a wild, bumpy ride which has helped me to grow by giving me experiences that have made me wiser. I have never been more motivated and determined to be a social entrepreneur and jewellery designer. I needed to step back to see the bigger picture.  I needed to welcome change. I spent the holidays reflecting on what I have lost and gained; learning to let go and accept. And so, I welcomed the New Year with intimacy, solitude and honoring simple traditions, sharing the moment with the people I treasure the most; my family, friends, and people I will meet on my journey of art, beauty, hope and change.

My everyday accessories consist of watches and bracelets. The perks of being a costume jewellery designer is being able to make one for myself. As a holiday treat, I made a charm bracelet out of T'Boli Brass Bells. I owe my friend Cherry for getting me these brass bells during her travel to Davao, Philippines. 










STYLE PHILOSOPHY TO LIVE BY THIS 2015 

(1) "Back to Basics"
For the past years I have been designing bold statement bead embroidery jewellery necklaces. Part of the process of my growth and goal to become a better costume jewellery designer,  is to look back and review my past designs. This helps me determine how to channel creativity to my work. A look back can be a surprising experience, sometimes giving me more inspiration than expected.  For this year, I have decided to incorporate minimalistic elements to future collections.

(2) "Embrace Change"
In terms of my personal style, I gear towards the bohemian and mod look.  I love A-line dresses, square pants, boot leg jeans and wedges. My style icons include Stevie Nicks, Farrah Fawcett and Twiggy among others. However, for this year, I will commit to experimenting with more elements outside my existing fashion sensibilities. First on the list: wearing skinny jeans! I never really gave it a chance because I love to wear loose and comfortable bottoms. Last December, I stumbled upon a treasured find. I found a pair of comfortable, "ripped style", stretchable skinny jeans; which felt like my yoga leggings when worn. And so, I promised myself to give different styles a chance as long I can tweak it to be my own. 

In the Philippines, we are encouraged to wear polkadots during New Year's Eve. According to tradition,  the polkadots symbolize good fortune and wealth. I chose to wear a simple polkadot red top and accented it with a chain necklace by Kim Basa of Amaya Accents. I have always loved chain jewelries and with so many polkas going around my top, a simple gold necklace did the trick to elevate my style from casual to chic. 
I believe that fashion is not just about trends; it's about who you are. Though I am going to experiment on different styles, rest assured I will always add "me" into the equation. 
GET THE LOOK 

Style Me Polka


Keeping it real. - PJV



No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to hear from you. Share your thoughts!