Saturday, August 13, 2011

Accessorizing anytime, anywhere

Last weekend, I had to be at an event where we were required to wear our national costumes.  It was a Global Leaders Summit attended by YFC's from Canada, Australia, Singapore, Kenya, USA, and the Philippines, and I was part of the production team.  If you are a Filipino commuting from QC to the Mall of Asia in Pasay City, in this unpredictable weather and with a laptop and camera in your backpack, you might have some apprehensions about wearing a Filipiniana costume.  It's really impractical!  And taking a cab will set you back too much, given the horrid traffic in the city.  What's a girl to do?

Then I realized, if there was something that could help me achieve the effect but won't leave me worrying about accidentally tearing the delicate pina of the baro't saya, it was the RIGHT ACCESSORY!

I didn't want to wear a terno or a saya, so i grabbed an old tribal-looking, woven fabric at home--it's probably a table runner--and wrapped it around like a skirt under a black mini.  I wore it with a basic white button-down blouse and completed the look with a huge embellished bib from Palamuti (Stillness of the Butterfly, Wildlife collection) that was beaded in tribal colors too and voila! Instantly cool outfit! It was quite unique, I felt great, and I was 100% comfortable.  I had no trouble moving around the place or commuting either.

Everyday, we get dressed to go to work or to school and sometimes it can be a hassle to look good.  There's always so many things to consider--the event, venue, the weather, the mode of transport.  But if there is one thing that can make you look good without leaving you to sacrifice comfort or safety, it's good accessories!  So whether yours is a statement necklace or eyecatching earrings or a classic belt that cinches the waist, use it to your advantage! You can be practical and still be pretty!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to hear from you. Share your thoughts!