Friday, August 26, 2011

Low-key, High-style!

It may be the secret wish of every girl to look effortlessly beautiful. I know I've daydreamed more than once about looking like Natalie Portman the moment I wake up and rise from the bed. But alas! Not all dreams are meant to come true in the exact way we wish them to. But to an extent, I've found that it's not at all entirely Herculean a task to look good with minimal effort.

Of course, some steps had to be taken to achieve this state (and mind you, it's still a work in progress). But I've found that editing your wardrobe and taking at all the ratty clothes help a lot--this way you won't be tempted to wear that comfy old sweater with a too-loose neck.

Another thing that I've also discovered is makeup. I avoided putting on makeup in the past because 1) i didn't want to make the effort everyday (precious time wasted???); and 2) I wanted to avoid putting things on my face that could worsen the state of my skin. But now, I've progressed to dusting powder on my face to at least try to manage the oiliness. I've also started regularly putting a bit of blush, brown or bronze eye shadow, and black mascara, of course! So it's not the fully made-up, geisha look that I abhor seeing, but at least my features are slightly better accentuated.

And then there's the hair. I recently cut it to some sort of asymmetrical bob, which has been good for me because I tend to pull my shoulder-length hair into a tight ponytail most of the time. I still remember my former office-mate telling me that she was "so sick of my hairstyle" and threatening to end our friendship if I didn't style it differently the next day! The short 'do has been good--I've been getting lots of compliments and people have recently been telling me that I was blooming. A lot of people at work also have short hair, especially the moms. But I guess what really makes the difference is my secret weapon--MAJOR EARRINGS!

Since the emphasis is all in the face, and there's a tendency to look boyish with short hair, I always wear statement earrings. From long crystal ones, feathered pairs, or statement beaded earrings, i think that's what really sets the look apart. It's instant glam, whether you have short or pulled-back hair. And unlike a complicated hairstyle, putting on a pair of earrings is as simple as 1, 2, 3!




Grab your own embellished earrings from the Still Butterfly, Wildlife Collection!

No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to hear from you. Share your thoughts!