Thursday, May 31, 2012

Tredding Beyond Fashion

" In the same way that an owner and her jewelry become merged in the process of wearing a piece, there is a coalescing of the artist and her work in the process of creating it." - Suzanne Ramljak (United in Beauty: The Jewelry and Collectors of Linda Macniel) 

Stitching is one of my favorite forms of crafting. I grew up watching my Aunt Fely with her needle and thread, and was amazed on what she could come up with in such a short period of time. My mother was another influence. On her free time I see her doing embroidery; decorating handkerchiefs and pillow cases. She would always harp an account of  how, as a child, I would gather DISCARDED fabrics to make dresses and  accessories for my dolls.  It came as no surprise to her when I started exploring sewing beads on felt cloth and incorporating fabrics to my designs.

The challenge however was not only about the design and its execution but convincing women that these pieces are more than replacement for precious jewelry or disposable accessories relying on trends but in itself works of art. We would be often asked regarding the  price, which is a bit more expensive compared to costume jewelries sold at bazaars and retail stores and we would patiently explain the process a piece went through.  I am proud to say that our embellished necklaces are a reflection of craftsmanship, patience and dedication. Accessories, believe it or not , have a deeper value than simply regarding them as mere possessions. - PJV


"As a form of art, a costume jewelry piece should not be judged on the merits of the materials used to make it. But it should be judged based on its beauty, artistic design, and most importantly of all: it should make you feel happy."









No comments:

Post a Comment

We love to hear from you. Share your thoughts!